East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc. | Version Date: May 25, 2018 Cognito Forms Data Processing
DATA PROCESSING ADDENDUM
This Data Processing Addendum (“DPA”) is made between Cognito, LLC., a South Carolina corporation (“Cognito Forms”) and East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc. (“Customer” or “Controller” or “East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc.”) as an addendum to the Cognito FormsTermsofService (the “Terms of Service”) in compliance with the GDPR. This DPA is effective as of 5/25/2018 (“Effective Date”), which is the date East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc. indicated its acceptance of this DPA electronically. This DPA was electronically signed by Shelby Bender, President on behalf of East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc. on the Effective Date.
East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc. is a Controller of Personal Data collected via their forms and/or managed by their Account. Cognito Forms is the Processor of this data on behalf of East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc.. East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc. will be responsible for Controller obligations in this DPA and/or ensure that the Controller they work with fulfills these obligations. Specifically, East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc. will ensure that:
all applicable posted Privacy Policies permit use of Cognito Forms by East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc.,
explicit authorization or consent has been obtained for use of Cognito Forms by East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc. to process this Personal Data, and
no additional agreements have been established that would prohibit use of Cognito Forms by East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc..
Where individual provisions of this DPA are invalid or unenforceable, the validity and enforceability of the other provisions of this DPA shall not be affected.
Upon the incorporation of this DPA into the Terms of Service, the parties indicated above are agreeing to the Standard Contractual Clauses (where and as applicable) and all appendixes attached thereto. In the event of any conflict or inconsistency between this DPA and the Standard Contractual Clauses in Exhibit 1, the Standard Contractual Clauses shall prevail.
Cognito Forms and East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc. hereby agree to the terms and conditions of this DPA in compliance with the GDPR.
1. Definitions “Account” means the business arrangement between a Controller and Cognito Forms that authorizes the Controller to use Cognito Forms services in accordance with the Terms of Service. Each Account is represented as an “organization” in Cognito Forms, and this agreement applies to the organization East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc..
“Controller” means the natural or legal person, public authority, agency, or other body which, alone or jointly with others, determines the purposes and means of the Processing of Personal Data.
“Customer” means the Controller who has entered into the Terms of Service with Cognito Forms.
“Data Subject” means the individual to whom Personal Data relates.
“GDPR” means the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data.
“Personal Data” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable individual where such information is protected similarly as personal data or personally identifiable information under applicable Data Protection Law.
“Processing” means any operation or set of operations which is performed on Personal Data, encompassing the collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction or erasure of Personal Data.
“Processor” means a natural or legal person, public authority, agency, or other body which processes Personal Data on behalf of the Controller.
"Services" means the services and other activities to be supplied to or carried out by or on behalf of Processor for the Controller pursuant to the Terms of Service.
“Standard Contractual Clauses” means the clauses attached hereto as Exhibit 1 pursuant to the European Commission’s decision (C(2010)593) of 5 February 2010 on Standard Contractual Clauses for the transfer of personal data to processors established in third countries which do not ensure an adequate level of data protection.
"Sub-processor" means any person appointed by or on behalf of Processor to Process Personal Data on behalf of the Controller in connection with the Terms of Service.
2.4 Types of Personal Data Determined by Controllers to fulfill the purpose of their use of the Cognito Forms service.
2.5 Categories of Data Subjects Any individual accessing and/or legally using the Services authorized through the Customer's Account. Any individual who uses the Services to submit personal data to the Customer.
3. Obligations and Rights of Controller Within the scope of this DPA and the Terms of Service, East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc. is the Controller of Personal Data, and Cognito Forms shall process Personal Data only as a data Processor acting on Controller’s behalf.
The Controller shall comply with its obligations as a Data Controller under GDPR in respect of its disclosure and transfer of Personal Data to the Processor, the processing of Customer Data, and any processing instructions it issues. Controller must provide notice and obtain all consents and rights necessary under GDPR for Processor to process Customer Data and provide the Services pursuant to the Terms of Service and this DPA.
Controller shall inform Processor comprehensively and without undue delay about any errors or irregularities related to statutory provisions on the Processing of Personal Data.
4. Obligations and Rights of Processor Processor shall process Personal Data only for the purposes described in this DPA and only in accordance with Controller’s documented lawful instructions.
The parties agree that this DPA and the Terms of Service set out the Customer’s complete and final instructions to Processor in relation to the processing of Personal Data and processing outside the scope of these instructions (if any) shall require prior written agreement between Controller and Processor.
If the Processor believes that an instruction of the Controller infringes the GDPR, it shall immediately inform the Controller without delay. If Processor cannot process Personal Data in accordance with the instructions due to a legal requirement under any applicable European Union or Member State law, Processor will (i) promptly notify the Controller of that legal requirement before the relevant Processing to the extent permitted by the GDPR; and (ii) cease all Processing (other than merely storing and maintaining the security of the affected Personal Data) until such time as the Controller issues new instructions with which Processor is able to comply. If this provision is invoked, Processor will not be liable to the Controller under the Terms of Service for any failure to perform the applicable services until the Controller issues new instructions regarding the Processing.
5. Security 5.1 Security Measures Processor shall implement and maintain appropriate technical and organizational security measures to protect Personal Data from security incidents and to preserve the security and confidentiality of the Personal Data, in accordance with the security standards described in the Terms of Service and this DPA.
5.2 Updates to Security Measures Controller is responsible for reviewing the information made available by Processor relating to data security and making an independent determination as to whether the Services meet Controller’s requirements and legal obligations under the GDPR. Controller acknowledges that the security measures are subject to technical progress and development and that Processor may update or modify the security measures from time to time provided that such updates and modifications do not result in the degradation of the overall security of the Services purchased by the Controller.
5.3 Controller Responsibilities Notwithstanding the above, Controller agrees that except as provided by this DPA, Controller is responsible for its secure use of the Services, including securing its Account authentication credentials, protecting the security of Personal Data when in transit to and from the Services, and taking any appropriate steps to securelyencrypt or backup any Personal Data uploaded to the Services.
6. Confidentiality Processor shall ensure that any personnel authorized to process Customer Data on its behalf, including employees, affiliates and sub-processors, is subject to confidentiality obligations, whether contractual or statutory, with respect to that Customer Data.
7. Personal Data Breach In the event of a security breach that may affect Personal Data, Processor will notify Controller of the breach upon becoming aware of the breach without undue delay. Processor will provide a description of the nature of the breach and affected data. If the breach compromises Personal Data collected by Controller, the Controller is obligated to promptly notify all affected parties.
8. Data Subject Rights Processor will provide reasonable assistance, including by appropriate technical and organizational measures and taking into account the nature of the Processing, to enable Controller to respond to any request from Data Subjects seeking to exercise their rights under the GDPR with respect to Personal Data (including access, rectification, restriction, deletion or portability of Personal Data, as applicable), to the extent permitted by the law. If such request is made directly to Processor, Processor will promptly inform Controller and will advise Data Subjects to submit their request to the Controller. Controller shall be solely responsible for responding to any Data Subjects’ requests. Controller shall reimburse Processor for the costs arising from this assistance.
9. Sub-processors 9.1 Authorized Sub-processors Controller agrees that Processor may engage Sub-processors to process Personal Data on Controller's behalf. Sub-processors currently engaged by Cognito Forms and authorized by East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc. are identified in the Cognito Forms PrivacyPolicy.
Processor shall enter into a written agreement with any Sub-processor imposing data protection terms that require the Sub-processor to protect the Personal Data to the standard required by the GDPR and remain responsible for its compliance with the obligations of this DPA and for any acts or omissions of the Sub-processor that cause Processor to breach any of its obligations under this DPA.
9.2 Changes to Sub-processors Processor shall maintain and make available in the Cognito Forms PrivacyPolicy an up-to- date list of the Sub-processors it has appointed, and will notify Controller (for which email shall suffice) if it adds or removes Sub-processors at least 10 days prior to any such changes. If the Controller objects to the changes in Sub-processors, the Controller' sole remedy will be to terminate their Account, thus terminating this DPA and the Terms of Service agreement and ending further Processing of Personal Data on their behalf.
10. Data Transfers To the extent that Cognito Forms processes any Personal Data protected by the GDPR in a country that has not been designated by the European Commission or Swiss Federal Data Protection Authority (as applicable) as providing an adequate level of protection for Personal Data, the parties acknowledge that Cognito Forms shall be deemed to provide adequate protection (within the meaning of EU Data Protection Law) for any such Personal Data by virtue of having self-certified its compliance with Privacy Shield. Processor agrees to protect such Personal Data in accordance with the requirements of the Privacy Shield Principles.
11. Deletion or Retrieval of Personal Data Processor shall, at the choice of the Controller, delete or return all Personal Data to the Controller after the end of the provision of services relating to processing. Controller must inform and instruct Processor on return of data in advance of terminating the agreement, as well a bear any additional cost arising with the return or deletion of Personal Data.
If Controller terminates the Terms of Service, by deleting the organization East Hillsborough Historical Society, Inc., without prior written notification to Processor, Processor will permanently delete all Personal Data in its possession.
12. Audits Controller may, upon reasonable and timely advance agreement, during regular business hours and without interrupting Processor’s business operations, conduct an on-site inspection of Processor’s business operations to demonstrate Processor’s compliance with this Addendum in relation to the Processing of the Company Personal Data, or have the same conducted by a qualified third party which shall not be a competitor of Processor.
Processor shall, upon Controller’s written request and within a reasonable period of time, provide Controller with all information necessary for such audit, to the extent that such information is within Processor’s control and Processor is not precluded from disclosing it by applicable law, a duty of confidentiality, or any other obligation owed to a third party and provided that Controller not exercise this right more than once per year.
Controller may also review the SOC 2 Report or another audit of Provider's systems by an independent third party ("Third Party Audit"), if such a report is available.
Processor shall immediately inform Controller if, in its opinion, an instruction infringes this Regulation or other Union or Member State data protection provisions.