The $500,000 Hotel Plant opened its doors in 1926. Five thousand people attended the gala event. The Hotel Plant had 100 well-appointed and comfortably furnished rooms, each featuring a private bath. The Plant, since its opening on Armistice Day 1926, was a popular stopping place for both travelers and resident guests. The dining room of the Hotel Plant served the choicest of seasonal foods through the year. The kitchen, one of the most modern in the South, featured a complete menu serving orange, tomato, grapefruit, or prune juice for breakfast. Your evening meal could be finished in Plant City style, with a serving of strawberry shortcake with shipped cream. The ground floor street fronts were occupied by local businesses including Tampa Electric Company, Connie’s Ready to Wear. Among the VIP guests were Senator Park Trammell and Florida governors Fred Cone, Fuller Warren, Dan McCarty, Millard Caldwell, and Spessard Holland, who became a U. S. senator also. The hotel was demolished for progress in the 1970s, but many photos and artifacts from the hotel remain in the community and are on exhibit in the Hotel Plant room.